Dahl and Vegetables
These lentils can be found in Indian Stores. It has a lot of protein, it is low in calories, no fat and has its own unique nice flavor and taste. It is good for you. Try it with rice, or bread or rotis, naans etc.
Zucchini Squash 1/2 inch pieces – 2 cups – 3 small zucchinis
Chayote Squash (1/2 inch pieces) – 2 cups – 1 squash
Cabbage (diced) – 2 cups 1/2 cabbage
Green Chillies (Raw Jalapeno or Serrano Peppers) – 1
Salt – 1 tsp
Asafoetida powder (Hing in Indian) – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Mung Dahl (Mung Beans) – 1 cup
Rice Flour – 1 tbsp
Cilantro – diced – 1/4 cup
Olive oil – 4 tbsp
Water 6 to 8 cups
- Wash the Mung Dahl and prepare it. See Recipe: Cooking Mung Dahl.
- When the dahl appears soft and cooked, take a tablespoon of the cooked dahl and mash it on a plate or cup. If you can mash it, remove the dahl. Using a heavy spoon or ladle, mash the mung dahl until it appears mushy. It doesn’t have to be mashed like mashed potatoes. Just mash until the dahl is sticky.
- Wash the vegetables. Peel the Chayote squash. It will be a little sticky. One trick is to rub a few drops of oil on your palms and then peel it. When you finish peeling the squash, you can wash your hands with soap. Cut the squash into 1/2 inch pieces. Keep each vegetable in a separate bowl.
- Dice the cabbage into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Cut the zucchinis into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Wash the cilantro and dice it.
- If you like the dish to be spicy, dice the green chilli. Otherwise, just make a tiny hole on it or a slit in one place, so it won’t burst while cooking.
- Add 4 tbsp oil to a medium sized sauce pan. On medium heat, add mustard seeds. Have the cover of the sauce pan ready. When the mustards seeds start crackling, cover the pan about half way so that the seeds don’t pop out of the pan. While it is still crackling, add the cumin seeds and stir for a minute.
- Add the green chilli. Stir for a minute.
- Add the three vegetables, turmeric, asafoetida, salt and 4 cups of water. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Check with a tooth pick if the chayote squash is firm but cooked well. If so, add the cilantro and mix well. Remove the pan from the Stove. Keep covered.
- Serve hot.
1) With rice.
2) With rotis, chapathis, Naan etc.
3) With toasted sour dough, multigrain or wheat bread.
1) Mung dahl is a type of lentils used in India. It will be available in any Indian store. 2) You can reduce or increase salt, green chillies and oil as you wish.
2) You can prepare this dish with just one or two kinds of the specified vegetables. But increase the amount.