Bell Pepper, Chayote Squash and Potato Curry
The combination of vegetables used in this recipe is not so common. But I tried it recently and it turned out to be very good.
INGREDIENTS: Bell Peppers – 2
Chayote Squash – 2
Potatoes – 2
Green Chillies (Serrano Peppers) – 1
Salt – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Channa Dahl – 1 tsp
Olive oil – 6 tbsp
- Wash the vegetables. Peel the Chayote squash. It will be a little sticky. One trick is to rub a few drops of oil on your palms and then peel. When you finish peeling the squash, you can wash your hands with soap. Cut the squash into 1 inch pieces. Keep each vegetable in a separate bowl.
- You don’t have to peel the potatoes, if you like. Cut them into 1 inch squares.
- If you like the dish to be spicy, dice the green chilli. Otherwise, just make a tiny hole on it or a slit in one place, so it won’t burst while cooking.
- Add 4 tbsp oil to a medium sized frying pan. On medium heat, add channa dahl and cumin seeds. Stir fry for a minute until channa dahl is golden brown. /span>
- Add the green chilli. Stir for a minute.
- Add potatoes and 1/4 tsp salt. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add chayote squash and 1/4 tsp salt. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add bell peppers and 1/2 tsp salt and turmeric.
- Add the last two tbsp oil on top and stir. Cook for 2 minutes. Mix well.
- Serve hot.
1) As s a side dish with rice.
2) With rotis, chapathis etc.
3) Make a curry sandwich. Lighty toast bread slices, add 2 cheese slices of your choice, spread some of the curry on the slices. Add lettuce or tomato slices, if you like. Voila ! You have a curry sandwich.
1) Channa dahl is a type of lentils used in India. It will be available in any Indian store. However, you can make this dish without it.
2) You can reduce or increase salt, green chillies and oil as you wish.