Black Beans and Veggie Medley
Black beans lend themselves to so many kinds of Mexican dishes. But here I have used different ingredients not commonly used in such recipes.
White onions – 2
Garlic – 6 to 8 cloves
Roma tomatoes – 2
Black beans – 1 can )
Lentils and vegetable Soup – 1 can
Lettuce (iceberg – shredded)
Cilantro – 1 bunch
Mexican chili powder (Chipotle) – 1 tsp
Salsa – 3 tbsp
Salt 1 to 2 tsps
- Wash the cilantro well and chop.
- Dice the onions and garlic.
- Place a medium size deep frying pan or wide sauce pan. Turn on medium heat.
- Add the diced onions and garlic to the pan and cook for 5 minutes or until cooked.
- Add the tomatoes, 1 tsp salt, salsa, and the chili powder. Stir well and cook for 3 minutes.
- Open the can of black beans and add to the pan.
- Open the can of soup and add to the pan. Add 3/4ths of the chopped cilantro.
- Mix well and stir once in a while for 3 mins.
- Transfer to a serving dish. Garnish with the rest of the cilantro.
- Serve hot on a bed of cooked long grain rice, while hot. OR serve hot with fresh corn tortillas.
- Serve guacamole, 1 to 2 tbsp sourcream and shredded lettuce as side dishes.
1) See separate recipe for Guacomole.
2) Adjust salt and spices to your taste.